Friday, November 12, 2010

Seriously? No, NOT seriously!

I have never, really, been bullied. In school I always managed to fly under the mean kids' radar, or at least use my cutting wit to disarm them before they could pick on me. I was able to "cross the aisle" by being active in sports and nerddom1. Thus making it known that I was cool to everyone (or no one?).

This all changed recently when I began to be picked on on Facebook. It is true. I make hilarious remarks (see above: cutting wit) that are packed with political intrigue, news of the day, pop culture references, and ironic racism2. While my above par comments are, generally, received well by the masses, there are a few who refuse to admit hilarity when it strikes.

People sometimes accuse me of being "Politically Incorrect", "racist" or even "dumb." Dumb! I am none of these things (just ask my mother, I'm great). But to people who take things far too seriously, I often come off this way. People, I am joking. I am almost always joking. I joke at work, I joke at church, I joke at funerals, I joke whilst smooching, I joke in almost every conceivable situation. Rest assured, if something I said angers you, you need to relax3.

Why, you may ask, do I joke so much? As Oscar Wilde once said "Life is too important to be taken seriously." The difference between Hitler's Germany and the USA is that we are allowed to poke fun at our countries leaders. The difference between Stalin's Russia and our beloved country is that we recognize and exploit the fact that mustaches are ridiculous. The difference between the Taliban/Al Qaeda and the Land of the Free is our Sense of Humor! 

When you can laugh at yourself, you can learn from your mistakes.  When a group of people can self-ridicule it keeps them humble. When a country can taunt itself for it's preposterous people it tends to allow more freedom for the masses.

The enemies of freedom are not jealous of our freedom, they are jealous of our sense of humor. When we take ourselves too seriously, the terrorists win. 



1: ie German Club and Ice Hockey, etc.

2: Not at ALL like actual racism. Mostly designed to make fun of those of the racist persuasion.

3: Or: Lighten Up!

3 comments:

  1. Wait, you joke about things? Mind.Blown.

    Secondly, I have a particular affinity to your footnotes. ;)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a quote person but this one came to mind:
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the nights I have cried on my pillow because of Stevens cruel, biting wit. Where did he learn it? His mothers delusional political ramblings? The mean streets of the notorious Hillcrest borough? Heaven knows I tried...

    ReplyDelete